My Facebook Status

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Last Week In Wakiso

In our last week at Wakiso I've been uncharacteristically happy. Things are good. I'm excited about my assignment, I really like my core group of friends, and I greatly increased my cred this week by obtaining a set of ping pong balls and 25 plastic cups. :)

This week I ran for and was elected as one of three representatives from our training class on the Volunteer Advisory Committee. (VAC) The VAC meets once every three months in Kampala and acts as an envoy to the Peace Corps staff, presenting security, training, and administrative issues raised by volunteers in country. I had conducted a month long campaign as the Anti-BS candidate, with aspirations to increase volunteer involvement in training, create a new committee to correspond with invited candidates, and to facilitate better communication to volunteers.

And my favorite story from this week, last night, I chased a rat out of my room at around midnight. I was awoken at around 11:30 to the sound of rustling and things being knocked over in my room. A bit later I saw the silhouette of a rodent walk across my desk, illuminated by the glow of my surge protector light on the back of my desk. I got out of bed, turned on the lights, organized the room a little and then later found him still on my desk, behind my pile of books. He jumped down, climbed up my bed and jumped onto the window ledge (he was one athletic little punk). I opened the window on one side and rustled the curtain on the other, he ran across the window ledge and jumped out.

In related news I'm thinking of buying a cat. I'll gladly take suggestions on names. Leaning towards Milo right now, but CJ is also in the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment